About the Society
The Society was established in 1876 and has over 800 members. We aim to promote the study of the history and antiquities of Bristol and the historic county of Gloucestershire, to encourage their conservation and to publish reports of excavations, research and original historical sources.
arranging lectures, meetings and excursions;
publishing research on the archaeology and history of Bristol and Gloucestershire;
encouraging research by awarding grants;
maintaining an archaeological and historical library;
monitoring the state of archaeological and historic sites in Bristol and Gloucestershire.
Download the rules of the Society.
The Committee for Archaeology in Gloucestershire (CAG) was founded in 1976 to act as a liaising body for various archaeological interests in the county.
We provide bursaries for young people to undertake archaeology work based placements.
The Society's Library is located at the University of Gloucestershire in Cheltenham.