Aban Court, Malvern Road. Pair of houses between Malvern Place and Drake's Place; built 'in the richest style of Tudor domestic architecture', and existing by 1834 (Davies, p. 163).
Abbeyholme, Overton Road. Behind Christ Church. One of Cheltenham's first and most robust Victorian Gothic stone houses, built c. 1860 by John Middleton. Demolished 1973; site now developed as flats. Originally known as Eastholme (thus 1887 map); compare Westholme, north-east corner of Wellington Square, now the Rectory (personal communication Mr Ken Pollock).
Abbots Close, Warden Hill. Off Lichfield Drive. Mid or late 1950s: listed by 1959.
Abbots Cottages, Hatherley Road. 4 houses (i.e. present nos. 227-33), first listed 1898.
Abbots Road. Proposed name (1928) for what actually became All Saints Villas Road, which see; probably after nearby 19th-century house, now The Abbotts Nursery (no. 49 All Saints Road).
Acacia Close, Prestbury. 1960s-70s. Name continues tree theme of nearby Linden Avenue and Elm Close.
Acacia Court, Fiddlers Green. Of 1970s appearance.
Acomb Crescent, Charlton Kings. Off Glenfall Way; developed by Laing Homes Ltd (agreement of Nov. 1967), on the site of Acomb House, built c. 1840s.
Addis Road, St Peter's. Between Hope Street and Waterloo Street; part of early 1960s renewal on the Maud's Elm estate, which see. Name approved 1961 (Market and Watch Committee unreported minute, 5 Apr.); probably after Henry Addis, once councillor for St Paul's Ward.
Adelaide Buildings, Bath Road. On west side, near Exmouth Arms between Upper Bath Street and Bath Terrace. Commercial premises, first noted in 1841 Census. Now nos. 153-161 Bath Road. Very probably after Adelaide, Duchess of Clarence, who had visited the town in 1827, staying in the newly-built hotel near Royal Crescent subsequently known as The Clarence (Goding, p. 310); see also Clarence Street.
Admiral('s) Buildings, Winchcombe Street. Shown on 1820 map, off eastern side of southernmost section of Winchcombe Street (approximately to rear of present electricity showrooms). Listed as 7 houses in 1844 directory.
Admiral Close, Fiddlers Green. Developed by Westbury Homes (agreement of January 1988). Butterfly theme (Red Admiral).
Aeroplane Field, Monkscroft. Local pre-development name for site of Shakespeare Road; apparently recalling an emergency landing or similar incident (Staverton airfield is nearby).
Agg's Hill. Above Hewletts Reservoir; part of an ancient track which ran slightly north of Cheltenham High Street (Paget, p. 13), and on Charlton Kings parish boundary. Formally adopted as name for section of Hewlett Road between reservoir and borough boundary in 1946, at suggestion of borough surveyor, who thereby regularised local usage (General Purposes and Watch Committee, Sept. 1946, no. 2028). Named after the Agg family, who for some time owned nearby house called Hewletts (see e.g. Goding, p. 621; Cheltenham Local History Society Journal 5). See also Roadway Lane.
Albany Mews, Bayshill. Modern flats at south end of Parabola Road.
Albany Road, Tivoli. Laid out and partially built (but unnamed) on the 1884 map. Apparently first called Albany Street; thus in 1886 when first listed in directory. Listed 1891-2 as 'Albany Road or Park View'. Name probably chosen for royal associations, as also neighbouring Alexandra Street and Dagmar Road; Leopold, younger brother of the future Edward VII, was created Duke of Albany in 1881. See also Park View.
Albany Street. See preceding entry.
Albemarle Gate, off Evesham Road. Developed by Milcel (agreements of Oct. 1965 and Dec. 1967). A 'prestigious' name, choice perhaps influenced by nearby Marle Hill. Name approved 1964 (Market and Watch Committee, 2 Sept.).
Albert Circus. Early name for Pittville Circus; in use c. 1839, when the developer Edward Cope was active in this part of Pittville (Blake 1988, p. 42). Apparently the first of the Cheltenham Alberts, probably all commemorating the Prince Consort, who married Victoria 1840 and died 1861.
Albert Cottages (1). Listed as 3 houses in Bath Parade, 1844 directory; 4 houses by 1858.
Evington Court, off Coronation Square. Block of flats developed by Kingsgate investment Co. Ltd. It was Block E on their plan, so a name beginning with E was chosen (Market and Watch Committee, Mar. 1960, no, 1397).
Evington Road, off Edinburgh Place. This length of road, not previously named, was so designated in 1961 (Market and Watch Committee, unreported minute, 15 Nov.). After the preceding.
Ewens Road, Charlton Kings. Naunton Estates Ltd got conditional approval for development here in Aug. 1933 (Town Planning Committee), but there was no construction pre-war. Charlton Kings UDC's preliminary plan for the layout of Ewen's Farm as a post-war housing estate was approved 1944 (Town Planning Committee, June). Some 56 houses built by 1950, but street names not given until 1952, when there were 104 houses on the estate. Built on site of Ewen's Farm (still shown on 1954 map). 1884 map shows Hewen's House; still standing (minus the H) in Haywards Road. Place Names of Gloucestershire notes an 1844 fieldname, the Hewings; other forms (including Ewenhill) date back to 1605; probably 'yew'.
Ewlyn Road, off Leckhampton Road. Originally a cul-de-sac, following line of 'road to limekiln' marked on 1835 enclosure award map, in turn apparently matching line of track through orchard on 1834 map. Line present but unnamed and unbuilt on 1884 map. By 1891-2 directory, named and containing 2 houses and Ewlyn Cottages. Condition 'well-nigh impassable' 1900 (Cheltenham Borough Council minutes); declared public highway 1905 (Streets and Highways Committee, May).